Skip to main content

Featured

Blood and Obedience: Onimasa (1982)

    It’s no secret: I unabashedly love Gosha and adore my beloved Nakadai aka the Greatest Actor Alive. They are a match made in heaven, Gosha’s artful brutality combined with Nakadai’s dark charisma always works for me. Onimasa is more than just another yakuza film and might be their best collaboration.     Onimasa: The Japanese Godfather aka The Life of Kiryuin Hanako aka Kiryuin Hanako No Shogai : The decades long tale of Boss 'Onimasa' Masagoro and his adopted daughter, Matsue as their lives see massive changes in Japanese society and politics. Masagoro is not the man he thinks he is while Matsue tries to find herself within the world she was forced into. It covers 1917-1940, the lifespan of Kiryuin Hanako, Matsue's younger sister and Masagoro's biological daughter.   You can go back and find a whole series on the 4 decade career of Hideo Gosha (The Line Between Sleaze and Prestige -  Part 1 , Part 2 ,  Part 3 ,  Part 4 ). His career was prolific with a co

Quick Update!



Hello, it's been awhile. I have not forgotten about Jailhouse 701: Japanese Cult Cinema. Life has gotten in the way recently and I'm not sure when I'll get back to writing reviews and the like. I'm going back to college, I already have an Associate's but going for a Bachelor's. A Bachelor's in a totally different area at that, so my free time is taken up by school, work, and more school. I absolutely love writing about Japanese cinema and exploring movies that need more love and attention.

So, here's some good news. I'll pull back the veil and spoil what the next batch of reviews are going to be (as of now), so you have time to seek them out on your own if you want to.

Chiba Check-Up Vol. 3! Featuring...Soul of Chiba (or Bruce Lee, depending on where you watch it), Doberman Cop, The Bushido Blade, and maybe Sure Death Revenge.



A return to the work of the underrated master, Hideo Gosha, with 2 #NakadaiForever films, Fireflies In The North and Onimasa



Most Importantly, the namesake for my site...The Female Prisoner Scorpion series (the Kaji ones)


I'm not sure how soon I'll return to this, but hopefully sooner than later. Everyone please stay safe and be smart.

Comments

Popular Posts